Sunday, March 22, 2009

Networking... how hard can it be??

I have to admit, the whole aspect of networking is pretty new to me. I came from a small city where believe it or not, almost everyone knew everyone else. Now that I think of it, we kind of had some sort of networks. They were based on people working in the same area, going to the same social clubs, and hanging around in the same places.

To get a job though, you had to be politically affiliated to one party or the other. Without that, its as if you do not exist, and of course, you cannot dream of getting a decent job. After graudation, I found a job almost instantaneously because my sister worked for a training company, and they happened to be looking for a new instructor. The opportunity for me to come to the States was almost as easy. A friend submitted my resume, I interviewed, mind you not a technical interview, then I was hired. Easy right??

Well, it was till I started at AU. I always thought it's about what you know; work hard, and be good at what you do. I had a Facebook account, and I used it like everybody else, to get in touch with my old friends. Some I have not talked to in 12 years, I found online and was so excited to see how they all turned out and where each one was. At first I used to log in daily, then slowly slowly, I started logging in twice a week or so.

At one class in AU, we were asked about our Linked-In accounts. I looked around, everybody had their hands up, but a few, with me being one of the few. All the speakers we had emphasized the importance of networking. Even some consultants mentioned not being able to find a job if you do not know an insider.

It then struck me. I am not on board. I was not one of a few that really knew everybody else. I looked at my network, and it was mostly of people at my organization that I encounter on a regular basis, and friends who have kids same age as mine. I opened a linked-in account, and started adding people I would meet in a professional environment. Yes I do have a Linked-In account, but how often do I login, or how often do I check or contact a person within my network? I also have a 200+ friends on my Facebook account, but I ask myself the same question. How often do I contact my friends, or even yet, how many of the 200 do I actually contact.

The answer is very rare and very few. Yes, I am aware it is something I should do, but I guess with a busy life of working full time job, going to school and having 2 kids, it is harder than I thought. It'll be interesting to see how my future job search will turn out......Wish me LUCK...



3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I moved to DC from Barbados because I had been offered a job and relocation expenses (plus some personal reasons for agreeing to move here specifically) - but I figured I had a steady job and would get to know folks here, build a network etc. When I got laid off from that job six months after I arrived, and right before my wedding, I was petrified. I didn't know anyone here! I still count myself as really lucky to have gotten laid off in a time where I was quickly able to land two job interviews and one on the spot job offer. It was a crappy depressing job, about which you've heard me complain bitterly but it kept the roof over my head and gave me the stability I needed to get married, get my husband his green card and find something I really liked: working at AU! Thank goodness.

    I'm starting now, a year before I move, to reach out and warm up those old contacts that my jaunting around North America have let go a bit cold. My hope is that some of these folks (the weak ties) who I hope still remember me fondly from the old days will now or soon help me find the right situation. I know we'll both find the right place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the same boat... Graduating with no job, looking to various channels in hopes of finding something to grab on to. I have accounts with all those networks, but I as well am too busy to go grocery shopping much less update my status on linked in or rate my coworkers. So the question now is: when I am in need of some networking is virtual way the only way for me to go?? If so, I think I am out of luck, because even I can see a bit of hyppocricy of jumping in on the network at the time when I need something.

    But who knows maybe it will work. I am keeping my fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have an obscene number of friends on facebook, a number north of 400 at this juncture. Of these 400 or so friends, I probably actively communicate with about 80 of them. I will; however, admit that I am guilty of periodically "silently stalking" some of undergrad classmates or estranged classmates from high school.

    For me, Facebook is reminiscent of the Boston College EagleNet, which I was part of during my undergrad days. I didn't have the opportunity to opt-out, but I did have the opportunity to control my privacy settings, i.e. delete picture, etc. During my freshman year, I quickly came to learn that the EagleNet had a street name amongst Boston College undergrads, StalkerNet. StalkerNet was a mini-version of / precursor to facebook. Back in 2003, minimally frightened of Boston College's "Stalker Net" capabilities, little did I know what I was in for some 10 years later....

    ReplyDelete