Sunday, March 29, 2009

Which network are you ON??

I cannot stop thinking about the number of social networks out there, and the possibility of having even more. As if having facebook, my space, and now the new Live MSN network is not enough, now google and Yahoo are also looking on expanding their service offerings to include a social network. That's exactly what the world needs, a new SOCIAL NETWORK!!!


When I first heard about facebook, I was excited. Finally something is available for me to get back in touch with old friends. It was not too intuitive, from security standpoint or usage, especially with having a new flavor and design every few months. The friends I have on facebook are not the same friends I have on Linked-in. At least some of them aren't. I do not maintain my network on MSN, nor do I have a twitter account. Now I keep on asking myself how many networks should I be connected to in order to be really social, and even if I am on most of those networks, how easy would it be for me to maintain my information up to date on all my networks.

How many invitations should I send for the same people to join my seperate networks, and how many systems will I have to learn, and secure in order to not be totally out there? I had a bad experience when msn came with their new network. I suddenly saw more than 10 albums straight from my PC uploaded and available to my network contacts. I got the freak and almost had a heart attack unti l I looked through all of them and realized than none of them was non-publishable material (If you know what I mean). I think choices are good, but having too many of those would be just too confusing even for a tech savvy. I am satisfied with the 2 I have for now. Maybe the future will prove me wrong and linking all those together would be an option. For a person with so many hours in a day, i keep on wondering, what's next??

Picture from http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/pagirly/social_network_confusion.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way! I really appreciate Google/Yahoo!'s need for constant innovation and for improving consumer's (our) experience with their software. However, this isn't innovation, it's redundancy. Like you, I have both a Facebook and LinkedIn account and hardly enough time to keep them both appropriately up-to-date. I don't want another networking site, I want an intuitive, fast, and seamless web-mail service from Google and an easy to use social networking site from Facebook, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I love that picture.

    ReplyDelete